50 years of adventure and life-changing experiences in beautiful isolation, 1969 – 2019

Michael Hall team return from mountain success on Arkle

Rock climbing and abseiling in the Sunday sunshine

Steiner Schools Week

Michael Hall team return from mountain success on Arkle

and news of Sunday’s rock climbing and survival skills

Monday June 5th 2017

Sunday was a beautiful sunny day here at Ardmore, with a steady breeze to keep the temperatures sensible for an action packed day. The Michael Hall Class 8 are operating in two teams this week, the Red Snappers (instructed by Richard) and the Red Deer (instructed by Joe). We would usually aim for a run or swim before breakfast but with the late arrival last night we spent the our or so before breakfast making sure that the teams are properly equipped for the adventure ahead.

Both teams spent most of the day on the remote and beautiful Ardbeg peninsula which lies immediately to the south of the Adventure School. Here the Red Snappers started the day with rock climbing and abseiling, scaling three different climbs on the crag, belaying each other and tackled an abseiling from the top of the crag. We could see the Red Deer team in the bay below us foraging along the shore, lighting small open fires and cooking mussels, winkles and limpets, along with damper (a simple bread dough wrapped around a stick and baked over embers).

After a picnic lunch the teams swapped over, with the Red Deer rock climbing and abseiling and the Red Snappers looking at fire and food. Both teams were back at the Adventure School shortly after four o’clock giving us time for a swim before dinner and our departure to the mountain base camp.

The old stone stables at Lone allows us to establish a field kitchen at the camp where we breakfasted before starting out on the climb. Arkle has two distinct summits, and our objective was to traverse the mountain, taking in both summits.

It was dry for most of the ascent until we entered cloud just a couple of hundred metres from the first summit and it began to rain a little. Spirits not dampened though as we cracked on from the summit and dropped down the narrow ridge into the col between the two summits. From here the ridge continues up and around, requiring a little hand work on easy steps before reaching the second summit. The clouds came and went giving us glimpses of the amazing views out across the west coast.

We were back to the minibus by half past four in the afternoon for the short journey back to the Adventure School for hot showers and a review after what had been a challenging but really successful day for the team.

More unsettled weather over the next day or two but the team are full of energy and enthusiasm. More news to come on Wednesday.